Have You Been Injured By An 18-Wheeler Or Commercial Vehicle?
Because of their massive size and tremendous destructive potential, the owners and drivers of semi and 18 wheel trucks are required to follow and observe very specific safety protocols, regulations, and rules. Unfortunately, all too often truck drivers disregard these rules and regulations in an effort to realize better travel times and make more money. When this occurs, the results can be devastating for others on the road. If you or a family member have suffered an injury or injuries as a result of being involved in a truck accident that was caused by the negligent actions of someone else, get a hold of one of our Savannah, GA truck accident attorneys so that they may fight for your legal rights and proper amount of compensation needed for a recovery.
As a result of their size and weight, most truck accidents are far more serious than the average automobile accident and often end in serious injuries or even wrongful death. If you have been injured or a loved one has been injured or even killed in an accident involving a large commercial truck, you need to contact our experienced Savannah, GA auto accident attorneys for legal help.
Most Common Causes Of Truck Accidents In Savannah, GA
Motor vehicle accidents are serious and often injurious incidents, and those that involve large trucks are especially dangerous. Tractor-trailers are much larger and weigh much more than standard passenger vehicles weigh and are capable of creating much more catastrophic traffic accidents. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) conducts regular studies to analyze the major causes of truck accidents to better inform and prepare truck drivers and hopefully reduce the number of future accidents.
According to the FMCSA, driver error is the top cause of truck accidents. Some ways drivers cause truck accidents include:
- Fatigue: Truck drivers spend most of their days on the road and must meet strict deadlines. Some truck drivers push themselves too far without adequate rest. Fatigued driving can cause a truck driver to fall asleep at the wheel, drift into other lanes, or impair their judgment and ability to make split-second decisions.
- Distraction: Distracted driving is a serious issue for small passenger vehicles and even more so for large commercial vehicles, such as tractor-trailers. There are a number of different types of distracted driving behaviors. Distractions can be manual, as in things that require the driver to remove his or her hands from the wheel to use a cell phone or to eat. Visual distractions are anything that draws the driver’s eyes away from the road. Finally, cognitive distractions describe times when the driver is thinking about something other than driving and doesn’t pay enough attention to the road ahead.
- Poor driving decisions: Truck drivers need to obey the traffic laws as much as any other motorist does, but we expect them to adhere to a higher standard of safe driving practices due to the size of their vehicles. Speeding, failure to signal, tailgating, and aggressive driving are exponentially more dangerous with a tractor-trailer than smaller vehicles.
- Inadequate skill: Truck drivers need to know how to handle their vehicles, and what to do in certain situations. Failure to perform turns or other maneuvers correctly endangers everyone on the road around them.
- Driving under the influence: DUI of drugs or alcohol is irresponsible and dangerous. Truck drivers in particular should never operate their vehicles while intoxicated, as their trucks are much larger and much more deadly than most of the other vehicles on the road.
If a truck driver causes an accident through his or her own error or poor judgment, we will hold the driver accountable for the damage caused. Trucking companies and any business that employs tractor-trailer drivers must ensure proper and thorough training for their drivers. They must also ensure that their drivers take adequate breaks during their trips.
According to the FMCSA, vehicle malfunctions are the second most common cause of truck accidents. Trucking companies need to be sure to perform that maintenance correctly on all vehicles and address all safety issues in a timely manner. If a mechanical issue causes a truck accident, the courts could hold the maintenance personnel responsible for the vehicle accountable for the damage done.
All drivers need to be constantly aware of their surroundings. Truck drivers need to know what speeds are safe for their vehicles, and when to make certain maneuvers. Truck drivers often drive new or unfamiliar routes for their work and need to be cautious as they head to their destinations.
Why Victims Need Representation From Savannah Truck Accident Lawyer
Trucking companies have large teams of defense lawyers that are specifically employed to fight truck accident claims. This is because trucking companies do not want to pay out the money you deserve for your injuries. These attorneys begin putting together their defense on your claim before you have even been to your first doctor’s appointment. Because of their aggressive defense of such claims and expert knowledge of the laws that will ultimately determine your recovery, you need an experienced and successful Savannah truck accident attorney on your side who can fight back against these commercial giants. At Roden + Love we have a track record of success and will start putting your case together the day you contact us.
Contact Our Truck Accident Attorneys In Savannah, GA Today!
Having the right Savannah injury attorney on your side can make all the difference in the outcome of your case and can help ensure that you obtain the highest level of compensation available for you injuries. If you are interested in learning more about the various ways that our firm can help you, contact our office today and schedule a free legal consultation with our staff.