Motorcyclists face many risks and challenges on the road. According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 72.34 motorcycles out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. Motorcycles have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance travelled when compared with automobiles. Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists’ risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car. If you or a loved one have suffered an injury from being involved in a motorcycle accident caused by the negligence of someone else, contact an experienced Savannah motorcycle accident lawyer on our team.
Drivers of passenger vehicles are actually the ones who cause the majority of Savannah auto accidents involving motorcycles not motorcyclists. The common acts of negligence which contribute to motorcycle accidents include the following:
- Failing to come to a complete stop before turning right on red in violation
- Running a red light or stop sign without seeing the approaching motorcycle
- Driving while distracted, perhaps by passengers or phone use
- Failing to yield right-of-way to the motorcycle, particularly during lane changes
- Exceeding the legal speed limit on the street and, therefore, unable to avoid a collision
- Failing to check blind spots for motorcyclists before changing lanes
An experienced Savannah motorcycle accident attorney can help determine cause as well as liability by conducting an investigation of the crash site and working with accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts, and other relevant professionals to piece together exactly how the incident occurred.
Most motorcycle accident lawsuits will be based on negligence, or the other driver’s failure to exercise a reasonable standard of care. The initial investigation by your Savannah injury attorney will help to prove that the other party acted negligently, failed to follow traffic laws, or failed to pay attention to their surroundings. To prevail in a negligence lawsuit, your motorcycle accident attorney in Savannah must show the defendant did not exercise this standard of care, this breach caused the accident, and the accident caused the motorcyclist’s injuries. Potential defendants could include negligent drivers, reckless drivers, drivers under the influence, or bus companies.
The most common injuries from a motorcycle accident include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – head injuries are extremely common in motorcycle accidents where the biker is thrown from the bike.
- Road rash – this includes cuts, abrasions and bruises to the skin caused by the motorcyclist impacting the pavement
- Burn injuries
- Broken bones or fractures
- Spinal cord injury
- Death – wrongful death
A Savannah motorcycle accident lawyer at Roden + Love can help you after your accident, including:
- Investigating the scene of the accident to establish fault. If necessary, this means working with accident investigators and engineers who analyze skid marks, evaluate damage to vehicles, and document road conditions.
- Interviewing eyewitnesses and gathering evidence that will substantiate your claim
- Helping you understand your insurance policy and making sure you receive any benefits you are entitled to
- Speaking and negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Lining up medical experts who will evaluate your condition
- Pursuing compensation for medical bills, lost wages and other factors
If the negligence of another person has led to you or a loved one being injured in a motorcycle accident, the Savannah motorcycle accident attorneys at Roden + Love are here to help. Our experienced attorneys have handled accident cases involving many different circumstances and understand the laws that are in place to protect motorcyclists. Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Savannah, GA have built successful cases for riders injured through the fault of others.
After a serious motorcycle accident, you need a law firm that will truly focus on your case, handling all insurance issues and protecting your legal rights every step of the way while you focus on your health and family. When working with our caring, results-driven lawyers, you will never doubt that our focus is on what is best for your future. Contact our office today at 844-RESULTS for a free consultation.